This classic creamy tomato dal is super easy to make, ultra-nourishing as it is full of the goodness of protein & fibre rich lentils, as well as being the perfect comfort food for a dull Autumn or winter day.
Daal? Dahl? Dal or Dhal? I'm never sure.
( just imagine my Aussie twang saying 'hows your dal Daaal?' Mine's lush ?')
This easy to make dish is well loved due to it's subtle spicing and creamy dreamy texture. I like to make my dal (daal? dahl? dhal?) on the thicker side, to make it easier to scoop up with lovely flakey roti, but you can also add a little extra water for a thinner, soupier dal.
The basic recipe for this dal is actually one of Vanessa's favourite recipes that she makes vats of to keep in the freezer, ready for easy dinners, however she usually makes it plain, without tomatoes and adds in some spinach or other greens to serve.
You can see how easy it is to make with these step by step instructions!
I love making it with tomatoes however, as they add a lovely tang. You can easily just add in a tin of tomatoes if you like, or the equivalent weight of ripe cherry tomatoes, such as I have used is very delicious, with little bursts of tomato flavour in amongst creamy mild curry.
Best of all this super easy dal is quite quick to cook. I used split red lentils to make this, which only take around 15 minutes to cook. No need to presoak! yay!... Of course you could also use yellow lentils or even yellow split peas, all would be delicious.
So what would you serve with this yummy recipe?
Well I suggest some pakoras Leek and Celeriac Pakoras with Vegan Raita
And maybe some flatbreads: these aren't a traditional roti but they are super easy to make : Easy Vegan Chickpea Flour Flatbreads.
I'd also suggest a yummy potato & spinach curry (I have a recipe coming soon for this.. watch this space!)
And obviously some chutneys. I like to buy a good mango chutney in, and maybe a lime pickle. Whatever is your fave!
Let us know in the comments if you make this comforting Tomato Dal.. we love to hear how you served it up, or are here to answer any questions you might have xx
Easy Creamy Tomato Daal
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 400 g red lentils (2 U.S. Cups
- 400 g cherry tomatoes, halved OR one 400g tin crushed/chopped tomatoes /2 US cups
- Fresh coriander
- Start the daal by heating the 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Once hot add the onions and fry until translucent, then add the garlic, ginger, coriander, curry powder, turmeric, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Fry for a few minutes to let the flavours infuse.
- Add 2 cups water and the lentils. Cook for around 20 mins until the lentils are soft.
- Next add the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped fresh or tinned tomatoes. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- To serve,add some chopped coriander and serve with roti and an assortment of chutneys if you like.