This incredible vegan jackfruit wrap made with Zim's Tribe Spicy Relish is "fast" food at its best! It can be made super quickly, but it's healthy, flavourful and absolutely delicious! The main ingredient is jackfruit, which is an incredible healthy meat replacement, and soaks up flavour wonderfully! *this is a sponsored post with Zim's Tribe.
How often do you see a Nigerian or African sauce on the shelves of the supermarket? Rarely/never, right? We love using the Zim's Tribe range for the relish in this vegan jackfruit wrap. The founder wanted to bring an authentic Nigerian food experience to everyone of Habanero Infused Tomato Sauces and relishes, as well as infused oils.
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make this vegan jackfruit wrap.
Zim’s Tribe relish - the real star of the show - with just a few tablespoons of this relish the jackfruit is transformed! We went for Zim's Spicy OH G! (Orange Habanero, Ghost Chilli & Tomato Relish), which gives a great kick! You can use any relish you fancy if you can't get hold of Zim's Tribe.
Zim’s Tribe Cumin Coriander Chili Oil - this oil infuses into the jackfruit and further lifts the incredible flavour of this vegan jackfruit wrap.
Garlic - essential of course! While the relish gives great flavour to this dish, jackfruit is very bland on its own, so don't scrimp on the garlic!
Jackfruit - this is a fantastic meat replacer. When pulled (literally, you pull it apart in your fingers) it takes on an even more meaty texture, and soaks up flavour really well. You buy it in tins/cans or jars online, in healthfood shops and even some supermarkets. It's very versatile and healthy! It doesn't have loads and loads of protein like some other meat substitutes, so if you're super hungry, nothing wrong with adding something like hummus to this vegan jackfruit wrap. For the best sources of vegan protein, check out our Guide!
Tomatoes - these are a natural friend to the relish, and create a little bit of a sauce when cooked with the jackfruit.
Avocado - because it's an essential ingredient in a delicious vegan wrap! It has a cooling effect to the chilli, which makes a lovely contrast. If you love avocado, check out our Avocado, Olive & Jalapeño Dip
Lettuce - another salad essential. It just tastes so fresh with the cooked jackfruit and spices!
Fresh herbs - also adding to the freshness of the vegan wrap, and giving even more flavour. I love using herbs like coriander, parsley or mint (or even a mix of them!).
Wraps - you can buy these pretty much anywhere. If you have time, I recommend making a batch of my Jamaican Roti wraps, which are flakey and delicious!
This is a "fast" food recipe, so it really doesn't take long. Here's what to do to make this amazing vegan jackfruit wrap:
- Get your jackfruit ready by draining it.
- Pull the jackfruit so it's in stringy pieces. Some of the harder ends you can chop finely and add to the mix (no need to waste any precious jackfruit).
- Finely chop the tomatoes, and start to heat the fragrant Zim's Tribe Cumin Coriander Chili Oil, or any other cooking oil.
4. Fry the garlic with the Zim's Tribe oil (or any other cooking oil).
5. Add the jackfruit and fry for a few minutes. Then add the tomatoes and salt, and cook for a few minutes.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of Zim's Tribe relish (there are two amazing flavours to choose from). Or find any other relish to use. Cook for a few minutes more and you'll smell the delicious flavours.
7. Assemble your wrap. I love homemaking my own Jamaican Roti (if I have time), or you can just buy some wraps. Put the jackfruit mix down the middle of the wrap (you may get enough for 2 or 3 wraps depending on hunger levels!), dot on the rest of the relish, add sliced avocado, fresh herbs and lettuce. Then roll up your vegan wrap and eat up!
If you use a gluten-free wrap, then you can make this gluten-free. Alternatively, serve up the amazing jackfruit recipe on rice or another gluten-free grain.
You can use as much or as little relish as you like. Alternatively, find yourself a milder relish.
Store the cooked jackfruit mix separate to your salad. The jackfruit mix will last a good few days in the fridge.
If you loved this vegan jackfruit wrap as much as us, please share this recipe with your friends and comment below.
Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit with Rice and Peas
Jerk Tempeh Skewers with Herby Yoghurt Dip
Spicy Relish Vegan Jackfruit Wrap
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- 2-3 teaspoon Zim’s Tribe Cumin Coriander Chili Oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 225 g (1½ cups) jackfruit (approx 1 tin/can/jar of jackfruit)
- 2 fresh tomatoes (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3-4 tablespoon Zim’s Tribe relish (two flavours to choose from)
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- bunch of lettuce (ripped up)
- Handful fresh herbs (such as coriander, parsley or mint)
- 2 wraps (bought or you can make our vegan roti)
- ‘Pull’ the jackfruit (it not already pulled), so it’s in smaller stringy pieces. Any hard bits just chop up into small pieces.
- Place the oil on a medium heat and add the garlic. Fry for a minute.
- Add the jackfruit and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the salt. Fry for a further 3-5 minutes to cook the veg a bit.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the relish, and cook for another minute so the jackfruit absorbs the delicious flavour.
- Assemble the wrap (depending on how big your wraps are, you can make 2-3). In each wrap put the jackfruit mix down the middle. Layer on lettuce, fresh herbs and avocado. Then dot on the remaining relish across the wrap.
- Roll it up and enjoy!
Leave a Reply