Everyone loves a flapjack to snack on! Chewy oats, with lovely buttery caramelly flavours, often with some delicious morsels inside. These scrummy Nutty Vegan Flapjacks with Dark Chocolate drizzled on top are the perfect mid- morning snack with your cup of coffee!
💗Why you'll love the flapjacks!
We also love to take these yummy vegan flapjacks on hikes or cut them up into smaller squares to tuck into lunchboxes, ready to fuel the next part of the day!
One of the nicest things about these yummy flapjacks is that they're drizzled in Dark Chocolate, which as everyone knows, makes any treat better! (you could also use vegan milk or white chocolate, your choice.. but dark is my fave!!)
The process to make these is super simple. Simply chop your dates up (no seeds!) then melt together with some vegan butter (or nuetral oil) and golden syrup in a pan. The dates mean you need less sugar overall which is great!
Then you mix together your nuts & oats, mix in the melty dates & syrup and pop in the oven! Once the flapjacks are cool, just cut into the shapes you would like, and drizzle, drip or dip dark chocolate onto them! (or chocolate of choice!)
👩🍳Easy step by step instructions:
❓FAQ for Nutty Flapjacks
If you choose gluten free oats, then yes this is a gluten free recipe.
You can use any nuts or seeds you like! We used a mixture of pecan, macadamia nuts and pumpkin seeds in this recipe. We have also tested it with both walnuts and brazil nuts.
Absolutely! If you have a nut allergy, simply remove the nuts and either substitute seeds or just add the same weight of oats to replace the nuts.
These flapjacks will be just as delicious made without chocolate. Or use a vegan milk chocolate or white chocolate.
Golden syrup is similar to, but not the same as molasses and treacle, and isn't always available in the USA. You can melt light brown sugar with a little water and lemon juice to achieve the same flavour and stickyness. Alternatively you can generally find it in the international sections of large supermarkets.
Love the sound of these scrummy nutty vegan flapjacks? Why not take a look at some of our other vegan baking recipes!?
If you do make these yummy flapjacks, make sure to leave a comment & rating below! And share them around on social media too! We love knowing what you thought!
Nutty Vegan Flapjacks with Dark Chocolate
- 20 x 20cm baking tin
- 160 g seedless dates (1 cup)
- 150 g golden syrup (½ cup)
- 120 g coconut oil (¾ cup)
- 250 ml water (1 cup)
- 300 g oats (4 cups)
- 75 g mixed nuts (such as almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts) (¾ cup)
- 150 g dark chocolate (1 cup)
- Preheat your overn to 160°C/Gasmark 3/ 320 F
- Chop the dates.
- In a saucepan, add the dates, golden syrup, water and coconut oil. Put over a low heat and cook for around 10 mins (or until the dates are very soft)
- Chop the nuts and mix in a separate bowl with the oats.
- Once the date and golden syrup mixture is ready, add to the oat mixture and mix well to combine.
- Line a 20 x 20cm tin with greaseproof paper.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the tin and bake for around 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven & let cool.
- Melt the chocolate (either in a microwave, or in a small bowl over hot water)
- Cut the flapjacks into rectangles or squares (how big is up to you!)
- Drizzle over the chocolate, either using a spoon, a piping back or just dip into the chocolate!