Everyone loves a flapjack, especially when they are packed full of dates and nuts and drizzled with chocolate. This classic British baked treat is like an oatmeal bar and combines chewy oats, with lovely buttery caramelly flavours, often with some delicious morsels inside. These scrummy Vegan Date and Nut Flapjacks with dark chocolate drizzled on top are the perfect mid- morning snack with your cup of coffee!
We also love to take these yummy vegan flapjacks on hikes or cut them up into smaller squares to tuck into lunchboxes, ready to fuel the next part of the day! Take them along anywhere you would usually take an oatmeal or muesli bar.
If you make these flapjacks, and think, I really like these, but I also love cookies, you should totally try our Vegan Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (easy one bowl recipe!) next. You'll love them. Or if you fancy a more indulgent treat, try these Biscoff Brownies.
Yummy vegan date and nut flapjacks only have a few ingredients and don't take long to make.
- Rolled Oats- Choose a chunkier type of oat for these oatmeal bars.
- Dates- you will need to de-seed the dates first if they have not come without seeds.
- Nuts- Choose walnuts, pecans, macadamia or any nut you love best!
- Coconut Oil or Vegan Butter.- Either is fine to use in this recipe.
- Golden Syrup- Widely available in the UK and Australia, Golden Syrup is similar to light molasses but isn't quite the same. See the FAQ below for how to cheat this if you can't find it.
- Dark Chocolate. Optional but delicious to drizzle over the top of the flapjacks.
👩🍳 Step by step instructions:
Follow these easy instructions to make your delicious vegan date and nut flapjacks. You can then choose to drizzle or dunk them in chocolate too.
- De-seed and chop the dates.
2. In a pan, add the dates, coconut oil/butter and golden syrup. Melt the butter and stir until the dates start to disintegrate a bit.
3. Meanwhile chop the nuts or seeds you have chosen to use.
4. In a bit bowl, add the nuts to the oats and mix. Then add the melted date and golden syrup mixture. Mix to combine.
5. Line a tin with baking paper and push and spread out the sticky date and nut flapjack mixture evenly.
6. Bake at 160°C/Gasmark 3/ 320 F for around 20 minutes. Leave to cool and cut into bars, then drizzle with melted chocolate if you would like.
These yummy flapjacks keep well for 2-3 or more weeks in an airtight container. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
If you choose gluten-free oats, then yes this is a gluten-free recipe.
You can use any nuts or seeds you like! We used a mixture of pecan, macadamia nuts and pumpkin seeds in this recipe. We have also tested it with both walnuts and brazil nuts.
Absolutely! If you have a nut allergy, simply remove the nuts and either substitute seeds or just add the same weight of oats to replace the nuts.
These flapjacks will be just as delicious made without chocolate. Or use a vegan milk chocolate or white chocolate.
Golden syrup is similar to, but not the same as molasses and treacle, and isn't always available in the USA. You can melt light brown sugar with a little water and lemon juice to achieve the same flavour and stickyness. Alternatively you can generally find it in the international sections of large supermarkets.
Love the sound of these scrummy nutty vegan flapjacks? Why not take a look at some of my other vegan baking recipes!?
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Raspberry, White Chocolate Vegan Blondies
- Apricot, Date and Walnut Layer Bars
Vegan Date and Nut Flapjacks
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/Gasmark 3/ 320 F
- Chop the dates.
- In a saucepan, add the dates, golden syrup, water and coconut oil. Put over a low heat and cook for around 10 mins (or until the dates are very soft)160 g seedless dates, 150 g golden syrup, 120 g coconut oil
- Chop the nuts and mix in a separate bowl with the oats.300 g oats, 75 g mixed nuts (such as almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts)
- Once the date and golden syrup mixture is ready, add to the oat mixture and mix well to combine.
- Line a 20 x 20cm tin with greaseproof paper.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the tin and bake for around 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven & let cool.
- Melt the chocolate (either in a microwave, or in a small bowl over hot water)150 g dark chocolate
- Cut the flapjacks into rectangles or squares (how big is up to you!)
- Drizzle over the chocolate, either using a spoon, a piping back or just dip into the chocolate!