I know, I know, ANOTHER courgette (zucchini) recipe. But bear with me everyone. This is our FAVOURITE pasta recipe. During courgette season we eat this Courgette & Tomato Pasta at least once a week. Why you may ask?
Because it's simple, it's speedy and above all, it's delicious.
Now, don't panic. This isn't a low carb courgetti or a zoodles concoction. You could sub all the pasta for the courgette if you really wanted to be like that, but it isn't really the point of this recipe.
The point is to make a lovely, filling, yet not too heavy meal that's made from fresh seasonal ingredients. It's the sort of meal that comes together super quickly. I can prep the veggies in the time it takes to boil the water for the pasta, and the sauce takes almost exactly as long as the pasta takes to cook.
We grow our own courgettes (zucchini) and tomatoes each year, which means that they are plentiful (understatement) and nothing gives me a thrill like having almost all the ingredients homegrown. If you don't grow your own, try and get the ripest tomatoes you can find as this makes this recipe infinitely more delicious.
Fresh, fuss-free, full of summer flavour from the courgettes and tomatoes and on the table in less than 30 mins. It's no wonder I turn to this recipe again and again whilst these gorgeous ingredients are in season.
*Serving Note: *
I want to quite bossily add, it's worth buying a few pots of basil and parsley to have on your window sill to add to dishes like this, even if you don't have a garden. Nurture them a little and they will give you weeks of fresh leaves to snip on to your pasta. I especially adore the tiny Greek basil as it seems to stay fresh and looking lovely for longer than regular basil. They don't last forever, granted, but having a pot on the go is so much nicer than chucking out horrid squishy herbs after a few days.
If like me you have a zucchini/courgette glut, you might like to see these other recipes we have created!
Summer Courgette & Tomato Pasta
- 200 g pasta (a long flat pasta such as fettucine or linguine are perfect for this) (2 Cups)
- 1 large courgette (zucchini)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 150 g cherry tomatoes (¾ cup)
- 1 tsp Dried oregano (or 1 Tbs fresh if you grow it!)
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 50ml White Wine optional (⅓ cup)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fresh or dried chilli to taste/optional
- Put the pasta water on to boil.
- Whilst boiling the pasta, use a vegetable peeler or mandolin to shave fine slices of the courgette
- Finely slice the garlic, chop the chilli if using and slice the tomatoes in half
- The pasta water should now be boiling, add some salt and the pasta to it, giving it a stir to prevent it sticking.
- In a deep frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic, chilli & tomato paste, Gently fry for a few seconds and stir to mix the tomato paste with the oil
- Add the cherry tomatoes & oregano and mix in, the tomatoes should start releasing their juices,
- Add the white wine to the pan if using and the courgette slices. Cook for a minute until the courgette slices start to soften.
- Test the pasta to see if it is done. Reserve a little of the pasta cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce, stirring it well, add a little of the reserved pasta water if it looks a like it needs a little extra liquid. Once combined, add salt, pepper and good olive oil to taste
- Serve immediately, sprinkling over extra herbs such as basil & parsley.