We're huge fans of the humble traybake, especially at this time of year. There's nothing nicer than the smell of delicious things roasting in the oven to brighten up a dreary evening. Even better, it pretty much cooks itself, so you can get on with other things.
This particular recipe is full of Autumnal flavours; sweet potatoes combined with butterbeans, whole cloves of garlic & red peppers, all sprinkled with the a delicious spice mix & roasted to perfection.
The spice mix we used is the Roasty Roots spice mix from Nature Kitchen, which is included in this October's subscription box. We adore this mix with it's blend of rosemary, fennel, celery seed and other delicious herbs & spices. We've found it super versatile and have added it to other bakes and even flavoured a butternut squash soup with it. You could use other spices too- get creative and experiment- go crazy with the spices in your kitchen!
For an easy, pretty much hands-free bake that takes no longer than 30 mins in the oven, be sure to cut everything pretty small- no more than 3cm squared. That way you can be sure that everything cooks perfectly.
For extra bulk and delicious flavour, I like to add chickpeas or butterbeans to a veggie traybake. It not only ups the protein content, but they complement root vegetables beautifully, especially when you get those delicious crispy bits next to the soft squishy parts. Yummm.. The addition of whole cloves of garlic is another traybake trick of mine. They caramelise in the oven's heat, so you can squish them out of their papery shells as a kind of delicious extra condiment while eating.
You can serve this tray-bake just on it's own, or add some salad or winter greens sauteed with garlic. It is also delicious as a packed lunch, so make extra so you can enjoy it at work or school the next day!
Sweet Potato & Butterbean Roasty Roots Traybake
For accuracy, I measure all ingredients in metric as standard, then convert and test the recipe for American cup measurements etc.
(Heads up Aussie and UK readers- your measurements in cups are sometimes different, so please use metric or check you have the correct cup and spoon type!!)
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 tin butterbeans (drained)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Herbs; mix of dried rosemary, fennel seeds, ground coriander ((mix and match what you have))
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1cm discs & cut the pepper into 1 cm squares.
- Separate the garlic bulb into cloves but do not take their skins off.
- Add all ingredients to a large baking tray, sprinkling the seasoning mix over & mixing everything around so all the veggies are evenly covered in oil and seasoning.
- Roast in a pre-heated oven on Gas Mark 6 / 220C for around 20 mins. Check to see if the veggies are nicely caramelised and cooked through. You might need more time depending on your oven.
- Serve with Salad or some sauteed greens.
Leave a Reply