I know calling this the Best Broccoli in the Universe is quite a steep claim to make, I mean broccoli can be delicious in all kinds of ways.
But, it IS truly the best way to make it. It's also dead easy.
First, you create a char on the Broccoli, by heating up a wok and adding the broccoli to it (No oil just yet!) Once you have a few darkened edges, you add a little oil and the garlic, chilli and lemon slices before putting the lid on. The moisture content of the broccoli will then be trapped, steaming it so it is soft with a little bite.
This easy side dish cooks in minutes so have all the ingredients ready prepped to go and cook it at the last minute. It's also pretty tasty served room temperature as a salad, so don't worry too much if it has to stand for a while.
Make to serve as part as of a Christmas Feast, to serve alongside a simple dinner, or to eat as a side salad for lunch.
[amazon_link asins='B01MS82G06,B002MXX7UI,B0070OEKV4,0981755658,B00W9DG6W2' template='ProductCarousel' store='popandthebee-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='a4f8579f-da10-11e7-b500-45bccf9d2a6a']
The Best Broccoli in the Universe
- 1 head broccoli
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small chilli (optional but nice)
- 1 TBS Olive oil
- 4-5 thin slices lemon
- pinch salt to taste
- Chop the broccoli into florets and peel the stem. Chop the stem into batons (the inside of the stem is the best bit!)
- Slice the garlic & chilli.
- Heat a wok so a drop of water sizzles & evaporates immediately. Add the broccoli.
- Cook the broccoli for a few minutes until it has charred edges in bits.
- Add all the other ingredients, and stir. Clamp on the lid & lower the heat a little. Let it all steam for a few minutes.
- Serve hot, or let cool to room temperature and serve as a salad.