As we’re back into a lockdown here in the UK, we all know that means the inevitable baking commences, in particular for bread and… Banana Bread!! I couldn’t resist getting this on the blog, as this one is a vegan chocolate banana bread. That’s because we all know I add chocolate to everything(!), and I love adding dates to banana bread for that extra syrupy sweet taste. Perfect for those elevenses (that means an 11am treat break if you’re not familiar), post-lunch dessert, or afternoon pick-me-up.
Heads up! This post contains affiliate links which are always indicated, but we only endorse brands and products we really love. We'll earn a little commission from qualifying purchases. This keeps us creating vegelicious content 🙂
Banana bread is a really simple, and totally yummy, way to use up ripe bananas and have a bit of fun baking. One of the fun parts is the variations you can do, this vegan chocolate banana bread being one of them! As a chocolate lover, and a lover of the essential combo of bananas and chocolate, I had to give this a chocolate boost! I always have dark chocolate lying around; it's great for a healthier way to satisfy my chocolate cravings. I also love it in cake. For this reason, our blog has many incredible chocolate recipes you may love like this Vegan Chocolate Cake!
This recipe uses super simple ingredients which are essentially mixed together to give the most delicious, and moist vegan chocolate banana bread. Even better if you heat up a slice before eating so the chocolate melts. So what are the main ingredients:
- Ripe Bananas - these get mashed up and help form the essential moisture of banana bread, and its yummy main flavour. If you have more ripe bananas leftover (and chocolate), you’ll love our 4 Ingredient Vegan Chocolate and Nut Butter Icecream
- Linseed / flaxseed eggs - basically what helps bind the cake. Linseed / flaxseed is one of the best vegan egg replacements (and full of omega-3s). 1 tbsp milled linseed + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. We’ve got a whole blog post on vegan egg replacements plus yummy recipes!
- Plain vegan yoghurt - this adds to the moisture of the vegan chocolate banana bread. So many brands in the supermarket, shops and online. Go for unsweetened if possible.
- Plain wholemeal flour - regular plain flour is also totally fine, but I like the more earthy taste wholemeal flour gives (and it’s a bit healthier)
- Dates - one of my favourite natural sweeteners, and they seem to go so well with the flavours of vegan chocolate banana bread. As they're chopped, you get a hint of date sweetness with each bite!
- Vegan dark chocolate - any vegan chocolate will do here! I am inclusive and all vegan chocolate is welcome. You could use vegan mylk chocolate if you wanted! I love the dark bitterness that contrasts with the sweet bananas and dates. Green and Blacks dark chocolate (affiliate link) is a favourite of mine (organic and fairtrade!)
How To Serve this delightful vegan chocolate banana bread!
To serve this scrumptious vegan chocolate banana bread, I love spreading some nut butter on a slice, with my cup of tea or coffee! My absolute favourite peanut butter (that I use every day on breakfast) is Biona Smooth Organic Peanut Butter (affiliate link) - I even got my parents eating this every day too!
Louise also has a fantastic Easy Vegan Banana Bread recipe you’ll love, which you can eat in just the same way.
If you liked our vegan chocolate banana bread recipe, please rate and comment below. This really helps others discover and try our yummy food. Thank you 🙂
The Best Vegan Chocolate, Date and Banana Bread
- 4 medium ripe bananas (mash up 3 of them and reserve one whole for topping)
- 3 linseed / flaxseed eggs (each linseed / flaxseed egg is 1 tbsp milled linseed mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 85 ml sunflower oil (⅓ cup) (or 80g coconut oil, melted)
- 120 g plain vegan yoghurt (½ cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 230 g wholemeal plain flour (2 cups)
- 30 g brown sugar / coconut palm sugar (double or even triple if you want it sweeter) (¼ cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 75 g chopped dates (½ cup)
- 150 g chopped vegan dark chocolate (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- In one bowl mix up all the wet ingredients (mashed bananas, linseed / flaxseed eggs, oil, vanilla extract and yoghurt). Mix well.
- Add to the mixture the flour, sugar, sea salt, baking powder. Give it it a good mix so the ingredients are combined.
- Then add the chopped chocolate and dates, and stir in.
- Grease and line a loaf tin (it will also work in a regular cake tin), and add the mixture to it. Slice the remaining banana in half length ways and place on top of the mixture in the tin.
- Bake in the oven for an hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Enjoy with tea or coffee, and possibly spread with some nut butter!