This quick and easy Vegan Clotted Cream is thick, luxurious and essential for dolloping on scones for a traditional afternoon tea, or for dolloping on vegan cake! Most traditionally clotted cream is known for its place in the English Afternoon Tea, Cream Tea or High Tea with scones and jam. I wanted to fully recreate this experience, but the vegan and dairy free version, with the same taste and indulgence!
🧈Vegan Clotted Cream Ingredients
I love that this vegan clotted cream has just three ingredients! They're also all ingredients you likely have in your cupboards and fridge:
- Vegan Butter - I love using Naturli organic vegan butter.
- Icing sugar / powdered sugar - this helps hold the ingredients together.
- Coconut cream - you can either buy coconut cream in a tin/can, or take a tin/can of coconut milk and put it in the fridge for at least four hours - it will separate into coconut cream at the top and coconut milk at the bottom. You just scope out the cream.
Despite it being made with coconut cream, there's no 'coconutty' aftertaste.
This vegan clotted cream recipe literally takes about ten minutes to make, which is why we love it so much. Here's how you do it:
- Whisk up the vegan butter and icing sugar / powdered sugar.
2. Add the coconut cream bit by bit.
3. Spoon into a little bowl and ideally leave in the fridge for a few hours to firm up.
4. Serve up with scones and jam or your favourite dessert!
The main piece of equipment for vegan clotted cream you need is an electric whisk. You probably could do it with a mixing spoon but it would take much longer and needs a strong arm!
It needs to be kept in the fridge, ideally in an airtight container. It will last for around 5 days in the fridge.
While I haven't tried freezing it, I often freeze these sorts of recipes so I think it will freeze well.
Yes, all ingredients are gluten-free.
We tried using cream cheese, and this didn't work. A thick dairy-free double cream may work as a substitution.
We love serving this vegan clotted cream on our vegan scones (recipe coming very soon!), and as part of an afternoon tea. Our afternoon tea includes gorgeous finger sandwiches and little cakes (recipes also coming soon).
You may also love:
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do, and we'd love to know what you serve it with!
Now, who can help us out with the age old question. Cream first? Or Jam?
Quick and Easy Vegan Clotted Cream
- Mix together the vegan butter and icing sugar using an electric whisk.50 g vegan butter, 75 g icing sugar
- Whisk for a few minutes until you have a buttercream.
- Add the coconut cream a bit at a time until you have a light fluffy cream with no lumps.6 tablespoon coconut cream
- Put in the fridge ideally for a few hours to harden up a bit, or serve with scones right away.