These crispy, savoury Salt & Vinegar chickpea snacks are barely a recipe and in fact, are not particularly original. I first came across them on Pinterest a couple of years ago and variations on the recipe are posted & reposted all the time over there.
I have to confess, not all of these were ‘crispy’ just some of them, but I like the slight chewiness contrasting with the occasional crunch. If you want these properly crispy leave them in the oven for longer, watching that they don’t burn.
The basic recipe for these crispy chickpea snacks is REALLY simple.
All you need is:
1 tin chickpeas drained.
1 tbsp oil
1 Tbsp white wine or apple cider vinegar
salt to taste.
Pop them on a sheet tray, roll the oil & salt around to coat them all then put into the oven (oven on 180C/Gas mark 5 ) for 25 mins, turning after 10 mins. Leave in longer if you want them crispier.
There are LOADS of ways you could spice these up. See below for my fave ways to do this:
When adding the spices make sure you roll all of the chickpeas around in the spice to coat before putting them in the oven. If you have a liquid that you want to use to flavour them with, then soak the chickpeas for 10-15 mins in the liquid so they absorb some of the flavour, then drain, coat with oil & any other flavourings & bake.
My top suggestions for delicious chickpea snacks are:
- Salt & Vinegar – the vinegar soaks into the chickpeas and is SO addictive.Use around 2 Tbs white wine or other vinegar.
- Smoked Paprika – the smoky hit is lush and works so well with the slight nuttiness of the chickpeas
- Indian Spices- add a little Garam Masala & mild chilli powder.
- Soy Sauce & Sesame- use sesame oil instead of the other oil & soy sauce instead of salt.
Or experiment with other spice blends!
If you like this recipe for Salt & Vinegar Chickpea Snacks, you might also love these recipes:
A super easy, healthy and tasty snack that has lots of flavour options
- 400 g chickpeas around 1 tin
- 1 tbsp white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
Drain the tin of chickpeas
Mix them together with the vinegar & olive oil. Allow to sit for a few minutes so they absorb the vinegar
Pop onto a cookie sheet or baking tin.
Bake in an oven that is 180C/Gas Mark 5 for around 45 minutes.
Check to see if they are crispy. If not, leave for a little longer.
Eat fresh and crispy!
You can flavour these snacks in so many other ways!
- Smoked paprika & herbs
- Garam masala
- nutritional yeast & garlic powder
- Cumin, cinnamon & rosemary