I love making chickpea snacks. They're so easy to make and make the perfect nibble for drinks or when the after lunch munchies attack. I make these all the time with different flavours, especially salt & vinegar, which happens to be The Gardeners favourite, but i really wanted to come up with something a little more festive.
The inspiration for the spicing came from one of my favourite Christmassy snacks by Nigella Lawson. In her recipe she roasted nuts and used butter, but I wanted to make this a) vegan friendly and b) allergy friendly.
And I'm really, really glad that I tried it, and can now pass this scrumptious snack recipe on to you. I think maybe it's actually my newest favourite.
I will warn you though, it's quite addictive. I made two tins of chickpeas worth & between two of us we ate the lot. Rather quickly.
And I have no regrets at all!
I made these with Panela, which unlike is unlike the brown sugar that we buy in the supermarket which is usually just refined white sugar that has had some molasses added back to it. If you can't find it, just use ordinary brown sugar, but it does have a lovely rounded taste.
These are best served slightly warm, so if you're hosting a Christmassy drinks, make these ahead, then warm in the oven and pour over a bit of the extra spicing. And make extra, just in case you eat them all before your guests arrive.
[jumprope code="zpXvJatF" products="top" displayformat="player-embed" structureddata="true"]
For the chickpeas
- 2 tins chickpeas drained.
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- For the spice mix
- 2 Tbs rapeseed oil
- 3-4 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tsp Panela or brown sugar
- 2-3 tsp mild chilli powder
- 3 tsp flakey salt
- salt to taste.
- Pop them on a sheet tray, roll the oil & salt around to coat them all then put into the oven (oven on 200C/Gas mark 6 or 7/ 400 Farenheit) for 25 mins , turning after 10 mins.
- Around 5 - 10 mins before you take them out of the oven, dump in the spice mix and mix to coat the chickpeas evenly.
- Cook for a further 5 mins then leave to cool slightly before serving with drinks.